Travelling is one of the best ways to explore new places, cultures, and experiences. But at times, it can pose some challenges to staying healthy and ...
What Does Puffed Rice Mean?Sunday November 14, 2021 at 11:19 am
Murmura or ‘Puffed rice’ often gives you the first impression of the delicious bhel puri recipe. Peddled for its crunch and munch, this is a standard snacking option in most Indian households. The market has many branded and tasty snacks out now, but the authenticity of puffed rice lies in its raw version. Adding multiple other nutrition-rich elements along with it and making a healthy snack can offer you numerous health benefits. You can readily find it at the small stalls around you.
Are you eager to satisfy your hunger pangs with the puffed rice? Is Puffed rice beneficial in weight loss? Taking a thorough glance at its benefits, side-effects, and consumption methods can help you learn it in detail. Puffed rice is prepared by heating ice kernels at high pressure and steam to create puffed grains that could be fabricated as the murmura. It is a ready-to-eat cereal that is consumable on multiple forms such as the sev murmura, chat, bhel puri, and other forms of chat, along with a wide range of nutrients.
Puffed rice also has a high range of carbohydrates associated with weight loss and results in numerous health problems. Occasional intake of such rice works as an instant source of healthy fats and proteins. You can incorporate it in various forms to munch on it and ensure better weight loss management altogether.
Significance of Eating Puffed Rice for Weight Loss
Puffed rice ranks amongst the second most popular cereal globally as per the reports released in June 2016 under the International Journal of Food Properties. In comparison, there is also another option of Brown rice that is lesser processed and comprises several other additional fibers, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. It can be yet another decent addition to a balanced diet. When brown rice is transformed into puffed rice, it undergoes a heavy processing method that wipes off its nutritional values.
In a few regions, puffed rice is a popular staple, especially the Asian and Indian ones. It is light to digest and easily fulfills your appetite, making you stay fuller for a more extended period. Puffed or popped rice is quite crunchy and undergoes a process of drying, parboiling, expanding, and milling about transforming in its final form. Once the hard rice kernel gets expanded, it becomes lighter and tastier.
Although it is also a fact that excessive processing involved in its making also affects the nutritional value of the rice. A comparison also states that puffed rice comprises lesser antioxidants and minerals than the raw rice samples.
Nutritional Value of Puffed Rice
As this type of rice is lower in calories, the other nutritional value also reduces significantly. The fiber and antioxidants content in it strips away during the processing phase. It’s a low-calorie snack that you can consider to opt for staying lighter in your meals.
There are a couple of other puffer rice options, such as rice cereal or rice cakes. In terms of nutrition, rice cake includes 35 calories, 0.4 grams of fiber, and 7.3 grams of carbs. On the other hand, a bowl of rice cereal contains 56 calories count, 0.2 grams of fiber, and 12.6 grams of carbs.
Puffed rice cereal and cakes both have certain traces of minerals and vitamins in them, along with some iron count. However, it is easy to digest and tastes good when consumed by adding other flavors. Do check out our detailed guide on eating horse gram for weight loss here!
What Are the Other Benefits of Eating Puffed Rice?
Consuming puffed rice can considerably bring down the calorie intake level and help in shedding off a few extra kilos. It also plays a crucial role in many other body mechanisms when eaten rightly. Here are the extended benefits of eating puffed rice in your meals:
- Relieves Constipation problems- This type of rice works wonders for people dealing with constipation. It portrays a vital role in decreasing the mucous as well as excessive fat content from your body. There is no sticking of mucous on the intestinal walls, and it provides a smooth peristalsis movement.
- Helps in Digestion- Puffed rice is also a potent digestive stimulant that breaks food particles into the empty stomach and accelerates the secretion of the digestive juices. It also helps in the absorption of essential nutrients via the intestine. The abdominal gas can get eliminated and help treat several gastrointestinal disorders such as bloating, diarrhea, flatulence, heartburn, and gaseous cramps.
- Increases Immunity- Due to the higher range of nutrients, antioxidants, and minerals, puffed rice helps enhance the immunity system. It offers a protective layer to your body against trivial stomach infections, sore throat, fever, and respiratory anomalies.
- Blood Pressure Regulation- With the higher sodium content in puffed rice, you can normalize the blood pressure level and retain a check on it. It is imperative to manage both high and low blood pressure levels. You can also enhance cardiovascular endurance and deduct cardiac anomalies like stroke and heart blockage with better heart function.
- Helps in Losing Weight- It is essential to stay low on calories for weight reduction. Intake of puffed rice is a perfect option for the weight loss regimen. With an abundance of essential nutrients and fiber, hunger pangs can get sorted and avoid overeating in people. It can result in faster shedding of weight.
- Strengthening of Bone- Bones are an essential part of the body, and it provides a specific structure and shape to your muscles. It can help you enrich with iron, calcium, Vitamin D, fiber, riboflavin, and thiamine. This ensures the proper regeneration of cells and helps in the structural development of the body.
- Enhances Skin- Puffed rice is also helpful in achieving spotless and radiant skin along with antioxidant properties. It provides a good shield to the skin and protects it from radical oxidative damage from UVB or UVA rays. This can also reduce the risks such as fine lines, wrinkles, dark circles, and spots. It can also be effective in treating skin issues like pimples, eczema, and acne.
Side Effects of Puffed Rice
This type of rice consists of incredible dietary compounds, and its excessive intake can result in diabetes or the glycemic index. It is an amazing option for weight loss reduction and is full of carbohydrate content. This is a perfect choice to manage obesity levels.
Tips to Make Puffed Rice Healthier for Weight Loss
Add some cucumber, tomatoes, coriander leaves, and boiled potatoes into a cup of puffed rice. You can also add some salt and lemon juice to make it tastier. Also, check out our guide on how to consume tomato soup for weight loss!
Puffed rice is a wonderful snacking option that could add taste and health both for yourself. It comes with a wide range of therapeutic and additional benefits indigestion. You can consider the inclusion of this staple ingredient for enhancing skin, boosting immunity levels, promoting digestion, and fortifying bones. Puffed rice is full of goodness, and there are very minimal side effects associated with it. It brings along a plethora of dietary benefits that can ensure better health for individuals.