Travelling is one of the best ways to explore new places, cultures, and experiences. But at times, it can pose some challenges to staying healthy and ...
Excellent health benefits of Oyster MushroomsSunday April 17, 2022 at 9:20 am
The health benefits of mushrooms are not too widely known in India. Mushrooms are a type of fungi and not a kind of plant as it is commonly believed. Many different types of mushrooms are edible and with great health benefits. Such mushrooms are a powerful combination of nutrients and compounds with valuable properties.
Health Benefits of Oyster Mushrooms
Oyster Mushrooms are one of the edible varieties of these edible mushrooms. Oyster Mushrooms offer incredibly excellent health benefits besides being delicious. Some of these benefits include:
1. They can help one lose weight.
An oyster mushroom diet can help the reader lose weight. Weight loss is the primary goal of several people focused on their health. And oyster mushrooms are a great way to do that. They are low in fats and calories while being rich in minerals and with some protein and fiber content to boost. This combination makes them a good food item that can replace other unhealthy food items.
2. They help reduce cell damage.
Next on our list of benefits of Oyster mushrooms is that they can reduce cell damage, and this is because they have several antioxidants that are needed by the body to control cell damage.
3. They are good for people with diabetes.
When compiling a list of benefits of Oyster mushrooms, one can not fail to notice what an excellent friend they can be for people with diabetes. They are low in calories and fats, making them a perfect food item in the diet of those looking to control their calorie consumption.
4. They can increase immunity.
In a covid-19 weary world, the reader is very likely to appreciate that the ability to increase immunity is one of many benefits of oyster mushrooms. That is because of their anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.
5. They are good for the heart.
Oyster Mushrooms are good for the heart, and they are themselves low in fat and calorie content with zero cholesterol, thus making them a good substitute for other cholesterol-rich food. Additionally, they also have compounds that can help reduce the cholesterol combination.
6. They can help reduce cancer risk.
An increasing amount of research points to the next contender in our list of excellent health benefits of oyster mushrooms. That is because they reduce cell damage which may increase the vulnerability to cancer.
7. They can help fight inflammation.
Inflammation is a body’s defense mechanism, but prolonged infliction can cause several disorders. One of the essential health benefits of oyster mushrooms is that they can help regulate fighting inflammation because of their excellent healing properties.
8. They are an essential source of choline.
Choline is an essential vitamin B-like compound, the scarcity of which can cause several problems, including muscle damage. One of the excellent benefits of oyster mushrooms is that they are a valuable source of this critical compound.
9. They can help regulate blood pressure.
One of the essential benefits of oyster mushrooms is that they can help regulate blood pressure. As mentioned above, they can help with cholesterol regulation in the body. Moreover, they are an essential source of choline which can help reduce blood pressure.
10. They are an essential source of minerals.
Last in our list of excellent health benefits of oyster mushrooms is that they are an essential source of minerals like Iron, Potassium, phosphorus, and zinc and vitamins like Vitamin B5, B3, and D.
Also, check out our article on the health benefits of drinking white tea in detail here!
When talking about oyster mushrooms, people have several questions. The following are some of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs):
Q1: What is the nutritional composition of Oyster Mushrooms?
A2: The following is the nutritional composition of a 28 gram of mushrooms:
- Calories: 28
- Carbohydrates: 5 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
- Fat: less than 1 gram
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Niacin (also known as Vitamin B3): 27% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Pantothenic acid (also known as vitamin B5): 22% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Folate: 8% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Choline: 8% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Potassium: 8% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Iron: 6% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Phosphorus: 8% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Zinc: 6% of the Daily Value (DV)
Several antioxidants and a small amount of Vitamin D and selenium are present.
Q2: Are there any precautions one needs to take while consuming Oyster Mushrooms?
A2: While oyster mushrooms usually are tremendous and can be consumed without any risk, it is highly advised that the reader should go through the following note of caution before adding them to the diet
- While oyster mushrooms are never poisonous, other mushrooms may look like them, and one should be careful not to eat a lookalike, mainly if one is growing them at home.
- Mushrooms must be washed by rinsing in clean water before being consumed.
- There may be occasional allergic reactions like a rash or some itching in rare cases, and readers who see such reactions may want to stay away from oyster mushrooms. In sporadic cases, responses may be worse, and thus, sensitive body types should be forewarned.
- People with pre-existing health conditions are highly advised to consult their physician before making any changes in their diet.
- People who are on some medication should ensure that the consumption of oyster mushrooms will interfere with their medicinal course. They must consult their physician before trying the oyster mushrooms
- The reader must remember that all the above information is for general purposes only and may not apply to the person’s specific case.
Q3: What are some other healthy mushrooms?
A3: Mushrooms like maitake mushrooms, shiitake, lion’s mane, turkey tail, cordyceps, chaga, etc., are some other mushrooms packed with essential nutrients and medicinal compounds.
Q4: How should I consume oyster mushrooms?
A4: Oyster mushrooms may be cooked themselves though they work better as an ingredient in other food items, and one can also take them as supplements.
To wrap up the above discussion, one can conclude that oyster mushrooms offer incredible health benefits aside from being a delicious and easy item to add to one’s diet.