Travelling is one of the best ways to explore new places, cultures, and experiences. But at times, it can pose some challenges to staying healthy and ...
Magical and Countless health benefits of GILOYThursday May 26, 2022 at 12:03 pm
Ayurveda is a rich medical system with herbal remedies for most commonly occurring ailments. Often these remedies offer multiple health benefits; however, if one were to seek a herb that could treat almost all the common ailments, then giloy would be the best contender. Being named after a Hindu heavenly elixir that offers immortality and everlasting youth, it is a magical plant that offers countless health benefits.
Giloy is a climbing shrub that has been used for centuries as an essential herb in Ayurvedic medicine. This article will explore all the various aspects relating to this plant.
Health Benefits of Giloy
People take it to support general wellness and treat a wide range of conditions, including fever, infections, and diabetes.
Giloy (scientific name – Tinospora cordifolia) from the botanical family Menispermaceae is a climbing shrub that lives and grows on other trees. The plant is native to India though also found in other tropical parts like China, Africa, Australia, etc. It is one of the most potent herbs used in Ayurveda, where its various components are used to treat several ailments. Its stem offers the highest amount of health benefits. It has been traditionally used as a treatment for poisons too.
It has several other names, including giloe, Guduchi, and amrita. The words “giloe” and ‘”Amrit,” a Hindu mythological term, refer to a mythical elixir from heaven that keeps celestial beings immortal and eternally young. “Guduchi” is a Sanskrit term that means something that protects the whole body,
Traditionally, giloy is used in India to treat:
- skin infections
- urinary problems
- eye conditions
This article will now discuss some of the most important of these health benefits that have been backed up by recent scientific research.
1. Giloy is beneficial for people with diabetes.
One of the essential benefits of giloy is that it can reduce blood sugar. Thanks to berberine, which works the same way as diabetes medication metformin, Giloy makes cel less insulin resistant and thus increases blood sugar absorption.
2. Giloy offers several metabolic benefits.
As mentioned above, Gilofy increases sugar absorption in the body. This means that it increases the body’s metabolism and can help people lose weight.
3. Geology can be incredible for heart health and those at risk of heart disease.
Giloy might be helpful for those with diabetes or who are at risk of heart disease as it reduces the cholesterol in the body. That is because of berberine, which lowers cholesterol and thus controls blood pressure.
4. Giloy offers several benefits for the Immune system.
Geology can boost the body’s immune system against allergies of various kinds and elevate the multiple symptoms. Its different active compounds offer protection against several pathogens.
5. Giloy might be a potent treatment against cancer.
Research shows Giloy has some potential to act against breast, prostate, and ovarian cancer cells in the body.
6. Giloy can have anti-aging properties.
Giloy has some antioxidant effects. That means it can help protect the body’s cells from oxidative damage, which allows a person to stay young.
Moreover, you can also check out our article on Why your eyes hurt when you blink and how to get rid of this.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What is the secret behind the magical health properties of Giloy?
Answer: The health benefits of Giloy arise out of numerous beneficial active plant compounds contained in it. These include various kinds of
- Terpenoids – These are one of the largest classes of active compounds found in plants. They are partially responsible for plants’ fragrance, taste, and color. They have anti-pathogenic properties.
- Alkaloids – These are another category of compounds. They give some plants their bitter taste. Plant alkaloids are already used in a number of prescription medicines. They have therapeutic benefits for various health conditions like pain, blood pressure, malaria, cancer, and intestinal spasms. In India, Gilofy has been used against poison because of them.
- Lignans – These are compounds primarily found in fiber-rich plants. They, too, offer anti-pathogen properties. They are also responsible for protecting cells from oxidative damage as well as giving giloy its anti-cancer properties.
- Steroid – These compounds in plants may also have potential benefits like improving skin health, healing wound healing, benefits for cardiovascular health
Question: Are there any precautions I should take while consuming Giloy?
Answer: The following precautions are suggested:
- Always take giloy in prescribed doses (as prescribed on the box or by a professional).
- People with low blood sugar problems or those already taking medicines should avoid Gilofy as it may result in a case of a low blood sugar problem.
- Giloy can also cause problems for people with specific ailments like autoimmune disease, rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease, or lupus because of its effects on the immune system.
- Pregnant or lactating women should also avoid it.
- Giloy is more of a medicine than a plant – just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it is safe. It is always safe to consult a doctor before buying it.
- The above information is general and is still to be verified by more scientific research; hence, the reader may not receive the benefits mentioned above.
Question: How to use giloy?
Answer: Giloy is available as a supplement in pill or capsule form, and it is best to follow the directions mentioned on the label while consuming them. The dried powder from Gilofy can be used as a tincture, or one can make juice from its roots or stems. We suggest mixing recommended amount with water. If the reader has one of the ailments that Gilofy might be capable of treating, they can replace the medicine with a Giloy-based treatment in consultation and with their doctor’s blessing.
Gilofy’s almost mythical health properties are yet to be studied by science. While that is being done, one can never be confident while using it. Its practically unbelievable health benefits might make it the incredible elixir that the world is searching for. Moreover, it is plant-based, so no one needs to be concerned about using it because they are vegan or vegetarian.