Applying ice or cold objects to the facial skin, often called an "ice facial" or "ice therapy," provides several skincare benefits. This simple and af...
Home Remedies And Precautions For Conjunctivitis Management aka Pink EyeThursday October 19, 2023 at 11:33 am
Conjunctivitis is commonly known as pink eye, and it is an eye condition that includes inflammation of the conjunctiva, the thin clear tissue that lines the inside of your eyelid and covers the white part of your eye. Pink eye can be caused due to different factors like infections, allergies, or even irritants. This condition leads to discomfort and itchiness in the affected. Understanding how conjunctivitis has spread the symptoms and how you can manage it using home remedies is very important for maintaining your eye health.
Spread Of Conjunctivitis And Pink Eye
Conjunctivitis can quickly spread from one person to another through direct contact or in direct contact with eye secretions.
- If you touch an infected person’s eye secretion and then touch your own eyes, you can quickly spread the infection, and this is known as direct contact.
- Indirect contact happens when you share items like towels, makeup, contact lenses, or eye drops. It can harbor the infection-causing agents and transfer them from one person to another.
- In cases of viral conjunctivitis, the virus can also spread through coughing or sneezing. Here infected respiratory droplets reach the eyes of others, and it is known as airborne transmission.
- If you fail to wash your hands regularly, especially after touching your eyes, then it can contribute to the spread of conjunctivitis.
Symptoms Of Conjunctivitis And Pink Eye
- The eye appears pink or red because of the inflammation of blood vessels in the conjunctiva. So the first symptom that you should look for is the redness.
- If your affected eyes feel itchy or irritated, then also it can be termed as a symptom of pink eye.
- Excessive tearing or watery discharge is basically observed, and it can lead to crusting of your eyelashes.
- Several people with conjunctivitis experience a lot of burning or gritty sensations in their eyes.
- Swelling of your conjunctiva can cause the eyelids to appear completely puffy, so you should look for swelling.
Home Remedies That You Can Use For Conjunctivitis And Pink Eye
While conjunctivitis can require medical attention but if you have mild cases, then you can easily maintain it with home remedies.
- Consider applying a warm damp washcloth to closed eyes for around 10 to 15 minutes. This can help you get rid of inflammation and also minimize swelling to a great extent.
- You can get over-the-counter artificial tears that can provide relief by keeping the eyes moist and also it can reduce your discomfort.
- You need to gently cleanse the eyes with a saline solution or clean water to remove discharge and prevent any type of crust formation.
- Avoid rubbing the eyes, as this can spread the infection or even make your symptoms burst.
- You must ensure that you get enough rest as it allows your body’s immune system to deal with the infection effectively.
- Besides warm compress, you should also apply cold compress as it provides relief by reducing inflammation and soothing discomfort. You must apply a clean and cold compress to closed eyes for a short time.
- Experts also suggest that diluted honey can have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties that help in managing conjunctivitis. But before you choose honey eye drops, you should consult a healthcare expert.
- You can place cooled, damp chamomile tea bags over your closed eyes. It can provide you relief because of the anti-inflammatory properties of the tea.
- You must regularly change and wash pillowcases. This will help you prevent pre-infection and also reduces the spread of infection.
- If you wear contact lenses, then you should switch to glasses until the infection is completely subsided. It is because contact lenses can trap bacteria and also worsen your condition.
- It would be best if you practiced excellent hand hygiene by washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water, as it can help in preventing the spread of infection.
- Avoid sharing items like towels or contact lens solutions. This will help you reduce the risk of spreading the infection.
- Consider using disposable tissues to wipe your eyes instead of using your hands or cloth towels. This will help you in reducing the risk of contamination.
- You should maintain a healthy diet and stay hydrated, as it can support your immune system’s ability to fight off all infections.
- If allergies trigger your conjunctivitis, you should ensure good air quality by using air purifiers. This will help you avoid allergens to a great extent.
- Excessive screen time can also worsen irritation. So it would be best if you considered taking breaks and practicing the 20/20/20 rule. It means that after every 20 minutes, you need to look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds. This will provide you with a lot of relief.
- If venturing outdoors, you should wear your sunglasses to shield your eyes from harsh sunlight and environmental irritants.
- You should seek medical attention instantly if you experience any vision changes or worsening symptoms.
When Should You See A Doctor?
No doubt, home remedies can provide relief for mild cases, but medical attention is significant in some cases.
- If your symptoms worsen or become severe, then you should consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
- If conjunctivitis is accompanied by fever or any other symptoms of systematic ailments, then it is recommended that you get medical care.
- If you are pregnant or if you have a weakened immune system, then you must consider consulting with the doctor to prevent any complications.
In short, conjunctivitis or pink eye is an eye condition characterized by inflammation of the conjunctiva. This condition can result from infections or irritants, and it is marked by symptoms like redness and watery discharge. Understanding how conjunctivitis is spread and implementing effective home remedies is essential for managing the condition. So it would be best if you considered taking the right steps at the right time.